America’s Founding Fathers, probably never perceived of, anything occurring, such as what we have witnessed, these past 3 years. Their true fears, which they hoped to protect this nation against, was having a President, who behaved like the King, they were abandoning, and separating from. For that reason, they decided, it was necessary, to create a system, with a genuine, Balance of Powers, between the three branches of our Government, the Executive, Legislative, and Judiciary. Their hope was, by doing so, our country and citizens, would be protected against placing too much power in the hands of any individual, and, therefore, created, the Impeachment Process, for what they referred to, as, high crimes and misdemeanors. Although, they specified, offenses such as foreign influences, and bribery, they used the other language, to include, a wider variety of dangerous offenses. With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, what it is, and isn’t, and, how the criteria is not simply, based on criminal law, but, hopefully, a higher standard.
1. It isn’t a regular, legal case, but a political one, based on what is considered, appropriate or inappropriate, especially, to a disqualifying degree: We have witnessed, much news, and Congressional attention, regarding the behavior of President Donald Trump, both, regarding alleged behavior regarding the 2016 election (specifically, involvement with Russia, etc), as well as a supposed, attempt to harm the chances of a potential, 2020 political opponent, by asking Ukraine’s assistance. Defenders and enablers of the President, as well as Trump, himself, often, claim, a lack of sufficient criminal evidence, although, it is not a prerequisite for this process. In addition, impeachment is determined by the House of Representatives, and is similar to the legal process, of an indictment by a Grand Jury. On the other hand, although a majority of House members, are needed, for impeachment, to convict, and remove, two – thirds of the Senators, is necessary for conviction/ removal.
2. House begins the process, through an Inquiry: The Inquiry begins in a specific, appropriate committee, and is being led, currently, through the House Intelligence Committee. Although, Trump and his supporters, complain about the process, and make demands, such as are available during a criminal process, like, with a Grand Jury, these remedies are not appropriate. The Committee calls witnesses, and, then, determines, whether, to refer the matter, to the Judiciary Committee, for moving along the impeachment process.
3. Recommend from Committee to Judiciary: If referred to the Judiciary Committee, that committee, creates, what is known as, Articles of Impeachment, with specific reasons/ rationale, for the process, to proceed.
4. Full House considers: The Judiciary Committee refers the matter, to the full house, after considering, whether, the actions, deem this needed, and appropriate. The entire matter is considered by the House of Representatives, under the leadership of the Speaker of the House, and, eventually voted upon, If a majority, vote to impeach, the President is impeached, and the matter, is referred to the Senate.
5. Senate hold trial: The final arbiter is the Senate, and the trial, is held, under the supervision of the Chief Justice, of the Supreme Court. In order to convict, and remove, two – thirds, of these individuals, must vote to remove. Since this ends up, potentially, being a political process, instead of a judicial one, the innocence or guilt, of the individual, may, potentially, not be determined.
One should not be impeached, simply, because, we don’t agree with policy, or like an individual! Rather, if someone’s actions, reach the level, of being, impeachable, and endanger, our nation, by inappropriate, irresponsible, or illegal behavior, he should be impeached! Wake up, America, because, this present situation, will, most likely, never be determined, in a way, which is, either satisfying, or relevant!
Richard has owned businesses, been a COO, CEO, Director of Development, consultant, professionally run events, consulted to thousands, conducted personal development seminars, and worked on political campaigns, for 4 decades. Rich has written three books and thousands of articles. Website: http://plan2lead.net and LIKE the Facebook page for common sense: http://facebook.com/commonsense4all
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/10213057