Legault Government creates action group to fight racism. Quebec has struggled with issues of race
In an effort to fight racism in our society in a concrete way, the Premier of Quebec, Mr. François Legault, announces the creation of an action group against racism (GACR).
Its mandate will be to develop a series of effective actions to combat racism, in particular by identifying the sectors that require priority measures in this direction (public security, justice, education, housing, employment, etc.). These measures must take into account the specific realities experienced by people from visible minorities and Aboriginal communities. Recommendations will have to be tabled in the fall of 2020, so that lasting changes are implemented as quickly as possible.
The action group will be co-chaired by Mr. Lionel Carmant, Minister for Health and Social Services, and by Ms. Nadine Girault, Minister for International Relations and La Francophonie. In addition to the two co-chairs, it will be made up of the following people:
- Sylvie D’Amours, Minister responsible for Aboriginal Affairs;
- Mr. Denis Lamothe, Member of Parliament for Ungava and Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister responsible for Aboriginal Affairs;
- Mr. Ian Lafrenière, Member of Parliament for Vachon and Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Public Safety;
- Mr. Christopher Skeete, Member of Parliament for Sainte-Rose and Parliamentary Assistant to the Prime Minister for relations with English-speaking Quebecers;
- Ms. Isabelle Lecours, MP for Lotbinière- Frontenac .
“We were all deeply touched by what happened in the United States. We must avoid importing this climate of confrontation here. You have to be lucid. The majority of Quebecers are not racist. But there is racism in Quebec. We have to act against racism a la Quebecoise: by working together. We must no longer tolerate acts of racism in Quebec. We must take action. ” François Legault, Premier of Quebec
In the coming weeks, various experts and organizations active in the fight against racism will be consulted by the GACR.